You may be surprised to hear this: Mexican food is great for keto! Whenever we eat out at a Mexican restaurant, my go-to meal is Fajitas. Obviously, skip the tortillas and beans & rice, but steak or chicken with bell peppers and onions on a sizzling platter with a side of guac and sour cream is a solid keto meal – heck, throw some cheese on there if you’re feeling crazy.
I love enchiladas just as much as I love fajitas, but you’re not going to find keto-friendly enchiladas if you dine out. So, I’ll just make my own! 😉
- 1 tbsp canola oil
- 1 tbsp xanthan gum
- 1 28 oz can of enchilada sauce
- 1.5 cups of chicken broth
- 1.5 lbs boneless, skinless chicken thighs (or breast, if you prefer)
- 1 spaghetti squash – cooked and shredded
- 1/2 tbsp garlic powder
- 1 tbsp cumin
- salt & pepper to taste
- 8oz of cheddar cheese – shredded
- green onion for garnish (optional)
- sour cream for garnish (optional)
- Preheat oven to 400*
- Heat canola oil over medium-high heat and whisk in the xanthan gum. Cook for 2-3 minutes then add enchilada sauce and chicken broth. Mix well and make sure the xanthan gum doesn’t stick to the bottom of the pan.
- Turn the heat to medium-low and add the chicken thighs to the sauce. Cover and simmer for 20-25 minutes until chicken is tender.**
- While the chicken cooks, mix the garlic powder, cumin, salt & pepper, 1/2 cup of enchilada sauce from the chicken and spaghetti squash together. Spread the spaghetti squash in the bottom of a cooking sprayed 8×8 baking pan. Cook for 15-25 minutes.
- Remove chicken from the sauce with a slotted spoon and shred on a cutting board, return to the sauce.
- Use a slotted spoon to spoon the chicken onto the spaghetti squash, add desired amount of sauce (you’ll have leftovers), top with cheddar cheese and bake for 10 minutes.
- Top with green onion & sour cream and ENJOY!
**Cooking the chicken in the enchilada sauce gives it so much flavor & by “watering down” the enchilada sauce, you save on carbs but the xanthan gum keeps the sauce at an ideal consistency.