I posted a recipe for a keto custard a few weeks ago on my keto Instagram account. After several tries I was confident in the recipe I posted, but it was still a little egg-y. I had trouble sleeping last night and the thought came to me to look-up creme brûlée recipes to perfect my custard recipe – and it worked! The creme brûlée recipes I found only use egg yolk – DUH! Why didn’t I think of that?! By eliminating the white part of the egg you get rid of the egg-y taste and are left with yummy, creamy, richness!
Of course this inspiration came to me when I was out of vanilla extract, thanks Tony. But, I did have some pumpkin spice syrup on hand – so, since we’re on the tail-end of pumpkin season I decided to give it one last HOORAY!
- 2 cups heavy whipping cream
- 5 egg yolks
- 1/2 scant cup splenda
- 1.5 tbsp pumpkin spice syrup (or vanilla extract)
- Preheat oven to 325*
- Whisk together all ingredients.
- Pour mixture into five ramekins (or use one large, glass pan).
- Fill a larger pan with water and place the ramekins in the water bath (see photo below).
- Bake for approximately one hour or until the center is set.
- Bring to room temperature, then refrigerate for a couple of hours.
- Serve cold & enjoy!